Friday, April 21, 2017

Title of the Book:Tuesdays With Morrie    
Author: Mitch Albom    
Number of Pages:199
 Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆




 Review: Mitch Albom tells a truly heartwarming story with the answers to the questions you never knew you had. The book starts with the author talking about his days back in college with a professor who had changed him and his outlook on life. Albom, and his professor said they would keep in touch, but quickly fell out of contact, until several years later when Albom saw Morrie, his old professor, on television, only to find out, that their reconnecting was just a little bit too late. The whole story is focused around Albom’s Tuesday meetings with his old professor as they work through their lives together as one is slowly coming to an end, telling stories, reliving memories, and coming up with all the answers to life. This book, all together, is Morrie and Mitch Albom’s final thesis. 

Morrie and Mitch’s Tuesday conversations are so insightful, full of love, and overall captivating. Hearing the progression of their conversations through the book is so incredible, especially seeing the growth of Morrie within Mitch even as Morrie himself is withering away. The thing about their Tuesdays, is that they never get old and each time Mitch returns back to Morrie’s place, there is something new to talk about; something to talk about that that changes Mitch’s perspective on him own life. Morrie’s positiveness on life is something that truly inspires me, enough to start to implementing pieces of Morrie’s advice into my own life. Morrie knows exactly what is happening to him and through it all, he continuously helps others with their problems, giving his full attention to them and not himself. It’s extraordinary, watching Morrie’s growth and happiness each Tuesday even through the inevitable future is drawing closer each day.  It would seem that a book all about Tuesday conversations would become repetitive, however, Tuesdays With Morrie turned out far from repetitive; in fact, each conversation held a very important lesson for life. Mitch (along with myself) leaves each conversation with more questions for the following Tuesday with Morrie, hoping there will be a next Tuesday, full of Morrie’s little traits that make him, well, Morrie. With all that happens, Morrie’s attitude is radiant, enough so to come through the pages and rub off on me. I hope to find a Morrie someday.

There is no book out there like Tuesdays With Morrie. It is one of a kind; one full of love, insight, and ‘life’s greatest lesson’. Mitch Albom and Morrie’s tone through the whole book, is actually quite comforting, when most would imagine it would be somewhat grim. Nonetheless, there are times when the comforting tone turns into a gloomy one. The story switches back and forth between Mitch’s past and the current time, which really allows the reader to get to know both Morrie and Mitch, through their past experiences, which therefore plays a big role in which tone is being used. Since Morrie was a philosophy professor, he frequently used terms that would be used in his course and because of his experience, he gained a lot of knowledge on the topic of life which he later passed on to Mitch and others. There is a point where Mitch talks about his Tuesday lunches with Morrie back at when he was in college, and how Morrie was as vibrant as always, but food would spill out of his mouth as he smiled away. Moments like that made me smile uncontrollably and pray that I will have a Morrie in my life someday. And from all I have taken from this book, one quote from Morrie that I will always remember is, “ “Love wins. Love always wins””(40). It’s absolutely true, at the end of the day, love is what matters the most. 

As I was reading this book, I received far more answers to my life than I would have ever expected to get out of a book. Each chapter, each Tuesday, holds a wisdom that only one that has truly lived, loved, and listened, would be able to offer. Over half of the answers I received, were from questions that I wasn’t even aware I had. Even though this book is Morrie and Mitch talking, there came a point where it felt as if I was sitting in front of Morrie, holding his hand, staring into his eyes, praying for more time, absorbing every word spoken by Morrie, and genuinely feeling his radiant love and happiness. I almost wish it was me; however, it would have made the whole process of the book coming to an end even harder. I never knew I needed a book in my life as much as I needed and continue to need Tuesdays With Morrie, especially in such a transitional time. I would recommend this book to anyone, especially to someone who is in a time of change and to anyone who is maybe a little bit lost in life. This book has truly changed my outlook on life and as crazy as it sounds, it has become a bible of sorts to me. This book with stick with me forever and it will go wherever I go. I highly recommend it to anyone. Tuesdays With Morrie is a truly exceptional book that has so many answers to life’s biggest questions. I hope that whoever reads this also experiences Morrie’s love and finds life’s greatest lesson. 

3 comments:

  1. Your blog post is very well put together and looks very neat! Based on your review I am interested on reading this book. Your word choice really makes your blog very strong and all around you did a good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how your review not only told us about the book, but also gave us great detail about what an affect it had on you as the reader. It makes me want to read the book to be able to receive the same satisfaction that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog. I feel like you offered a lot of insight into the book itself, and what the book did for you and what it can do for other people.

    ReplyDelete