Thursday, April 20, 2017

Born into the Children of God Book Review

Title of the Book: Born into the Children of God
Author: Natacha Tormey
Number of Pages: 233
Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
Review:


Most of us grow up with basic rights and freedom, surrounded by those who love and care about you, but can you imagine spending your childhood separated from your family and beaten simply for moving too much at bedtime? Natacha Tormey allowed us to look into to her devastatingly tormented life in her book, Born into the Children of God. Natacha immersed us into the cult that she was born into, and described the mental and physical abuse that she endured. The book begins with her parent’s initiation into the popular cult, the Children of God/the Family, and eventually leads to her birth and how the perverse and over-the-top rules/beliefs impacted her. The book follows Natacha and her family as they grow up among their fellow cult members, known as their “aunts and uncles.” Natacha went as far as to describe every waking moment of her life after she escapes the cult and how she attempts to adjust to her life in the real world.
No one can imagine what it is like to be in that type of situation, unless you have experienced it first hand. However, considering how eloquently this book was written, you can catch an in-depth glimpse of this horrible upbringing. I found the brutal honesty that the author used in every single page to be so refreshing; her word choice forces you to look at the harsh reality of her childhood and it was heartbreaking to read. Natacha is unique in the sense that she did not hold back any details, which made the book even more captivating.
The moment’s where you could see Natacha realizing just how backwards the beliefs of the Family were, really excited me, because it continually made me hopeful for her future when she would leave the cult. While some of the events I read about were hard to finish, the severity of her abuse really put my own life into perspective, so I am grateful that I was able to read about her journey.
I myself, have never been much of a reader, but I can honestly say that I loved this book. Her superb writing style and heartbreaking story was truly incredible. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is not afraid to face the harsh realities of life. I give it, without a doubt, five stars. I hope people branch out and decide to try such an unusual bitter but uplifting read, because I am hopeful that Natacha Tormey one day gets the recognition she deserves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment