Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Confessions of a Sociopath

Book: Confessions of a Sociopath
Author: M.E. Thomas
Rating: ★★★
“I'm an 'intelligent' sociopath. I don't have problems with drugs, I don't commit crimes, I don't take pleasure in hurting people, and I don't typically have relationship problems. I do have a complete lack of empathy. But I consider that an advantage, most of the time. Do I know the difference between right and wrong, and do I want to be good? Sure. ... A peaceful and orderly world is a more comfortable world for me to live in. So do I avoid breaking the law because it's 'right'? No, I avoid breaking the law because it makes sense.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What would life be like without a moral compass guiding our way? Without caring if our actions are wrong or if what we say hurts someone? This is what life is like for a sociopath.
In the book, Confessions of a Sociopath, the inner motives, thoughts, and feelings of a sociopath are explored. The author of the popular blog Sociopathworld.com reveals details of her life that will come as a shock to most of us “normal” readers. The book starts off unexpectedly when she describes herself as a high functioning sociopath. She is not a criminal, she doesn’t do drugs, and doesn’t hurt people. She is an accomplished attorney and law professor that teaches Sunday school every week and regularly donates to charity. From the outside she appears to be a normal intelligent woman. So, what makes her a sociopath?
A sociopath is defined by their thoughts and morals not their behaviors. And shockingly, One in every 25 people is a sociopath and only 20% of those incarcerated are sociopaths. This disorder is in fact even more common than anorexia
This book will  make you look at sociopaths in a different light. I recommend reading this book to anyone especially interested in psychology or anyone wanting to take a deeper exploration into the mind of a sociopath.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting. Did you enjoy this book all the way through? Were there some parts you didn't enjoy as much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is really awesome how you put the fact that one in every 25 people is a sociopath and only 20% of those incarcerated are sociopaths. It really made me think more about this subject, and now I would be very interested in reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really awesome how you put the fact that one in every 25 people is a sociopath and only 20% of those incarcerated are sociopaths. It really made me think more about this subject, and now I would be very interested in reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just covered sociopaths in my psychology class, so I really might read this! Were there any parts that you were super impressed by, or maybe some parts you wish you could change?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you put a quote in the beginning of your review. It already made me want to read the book. It sounds like a super interesting book. Also the fact about 25% percent of people being sociopaths really got me wondering of who could be a sociopath that I know.

    ReplyDelete